Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

The Ick factor

Saturday was my favorite day in a long, long (cold, awful, snowy, miserable, H1N1-havin', broken foot-havin') time.  I drove through my neighboring town to see that the farmer's market is back!  Yippee!  Fresh/sweet/crunchy delicious things, that were grown right here in NJ/PA!

I have been reading everything I can get my hands on about locally produced, sustainable food.  Ever since watching Food, Inc. (ick!).  It was enough to make me consider going vegan.  Surprisingly, thanks to our friend, The Internet, there is A LOT of information out there about how to shop & eat local, safe, humanely raised food.  Food that is actually more nutrient dense and better for us! 

I have also been using this personal food revolution as another motivator in my "getting well" project.  It really is simple:  I am resolved to:
  • Eat less meat.  There are plenty of yummy ways to fill the belly with nutritious vegetable sources of protein
  • Buy local produce in season
  • Preserve local, in season produce for use off season (freezing, canning)
  • Bake my own, less preservative filled, bread (which is remarkably easy by the way!)
  • Drink less of everything that isn't water (coffee, soda, alcohol)
  • GET RID OF artifical sweeteners in my diet.  This will, by far, be my biggest challenge.
  • Move more (now that the broken peg is pretty mucn mended)
  • Prepare meals and snacks myself at home using real honest-to-goodness food ingredients instead of fake this, artifical that or things that are over processed & refined.
Simple, right?  Remind me of that as I drive by chick-fil-a on my way home.  We have a deal?

No comments:

Post a Comment